Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pics of the New Bike

As requested, the only semi-decent pics I have so far of my first Harley... it's a two-tone, 1999 Millenium edition Harley 1200 Sportster. It's purple and black with red pin-striping between the two colors and on the logo on the tank.







I've changed out the handlebars, the grips, the seat, and the back tail-lights. I think the saddlebags are too big for the bike (and kinda ugly and a bit too Easy Rider for me) but they hold a lot of stuff.

Things I really want to change:
1. The weird little Peanut tank... I'm used to tanks that are wider and lower. I'm hesitating on this modification, though, because it will mean a paint job and a different riser to lower the handlebars... not cheap.
2. The height of the seat... which I am assuming that the only way to change it would be to get shorter shocks... I don't like not having my feet flat on the ground when I stop or have to move it... oh, and I can't even kick the stand down, I have to push it down to the ground and then roll the bike back to get it completely engaged... again, not a cheap change.
3. Change out the clutch and brake levers... they are angled away from the grips and really tight... my hands actually get tired.

Anyway... it's my first... loving the sound of it (it's got Screaming Eagle pipes on it) and it shifts so much smoother than the 650 did. And... I've noticed that the bike rides in traffic and wind a lot better because it's bigger... doesn't get blown around so much.

No comments: